Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Interview with Photographer Van Ditthavong

 I was so fortunate to meet Van Ditthavong of Van Photographs. Van is the photographer selected by Texas Monthly magazine to shoot the photos for the story,  The Lost Girls, by Mimi Swartz, in the April 2010 issue. This story was receiving more views than any article after just a few days after release- even more than the story on  the late icon Selena. It was a huge success for taking the readers into the barriers, misunderstandings and absolute impossible world that vicitms face when they attempt to escape from trafficking. I am so thankful to the team who worked on the story and to the the Magazine for devoting extensive resources to this topic. The story may be accessed by subscribers of Texas Monthly online at Texas Monthly. Van may be reached at Van Photographs

What did you think when Texas Monthly magaine asked you to shoot scenes for a story on Sex Trafficking in the US?


Van: Working with Texas Monthly is always a thrill for me. The assignments I receive from them have always been exciting and challenging. However, when I was asked to cover the story on sex trafficking I was extremely honored. I knew I was going to enter an underground world, but my focus was to capture that through the camera and add to Mimi Swartz's excellent piece.


What was it like when you went out with the law enforcement officers?

Van: Going on these "inspections" with law enforcement gave me the opportunity to see what is actually happening behind these blacked out windows, behind the rooms where these poor girls are forced to sleep in, and what our community is up against. The "Johns" I saw were from all walks of life, the girls/victims were young and lifeless. When we came in, they weren't scared or anything. They were emotionless. That was the saddest part.

What was the best part of the shoot? the most frustrating?

Van: The best part was meeting everyone involved and being able to help tell this story visually. We, meaning the American public, thinks Sex Trafficking is someone else's problems. It's in India, Cambodia, Thailand, Africa... not here in the U.S. Well, that's not the case. It is here in the U.S. and it is frightenedly abundant.

What was it like going to detention to photograph Kiki?

Van: Traveling to the middle of nowhere Louisiana is an adventure onto itself. But knowing that I had to make a portrait of someone who has been through so much, a lot of thoughts sort of go through your mind like - how is the subject going to be? is she going to be scared? hardened? timid? ... but in the end Kiki was just a sweet woman. I looked at her and thought... she could be my sister... my mom. How did she end up here behind these cell doors and razor wire?

 How has this changed you?

 Van:This experience has opened my eyes to a real part of our society. I'm so proud of Texas Monthly for doing a feature like this so the public can be informed that modern day slavery is alive and well and here in our communities. There's so much we all can do as citizens and neighbors to help these victims and fight against human trafficking. But first it's starts with knowledge, and since the story was released in April 2010, I just accepted a fellowship at the Polaris Project in Washington D.C. for the summer where hopeful I can contribute more to this cause.

Which photo were you most proud of?

Van: I would say I am proud of the whole series. I hope the public will get to see more of what really is going on.

What message do you have for men who think that prostitution has no vicitms?

Van:Wake up. Stop paying for sex. These girls/children are not willing participants.

What is your next project?

Van:Well I hope to continue pursuing photography work on Sex Trafficking and getting exhibits for the photos. I think it's important that people get to see what's happening in their strip malls. My aim is have a traveling exhibition to colleges, high schools, shopping centers all around the nation. It's going to take some work but we'll get there.


http://www.vanphotographs.com/
http://www.lasterglobal.com/
http://www.millionkids.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment