Wednesday, September 19, 2012

How New Technology Has Affected My Life



Keeping up with new technology?

When I first went to college in 1982 I took typing classes and could not type without mistakes. At that time you had to use correction tape or white out- My papers were always fill of white out-

I remember thinking of how much I wish there were a way to correct the type before it went onto the paper. Also we had the “new” technology of call waiting, cable, and personal computers with the memory of a gnat.

I returned to college almost 20 years later and was hit with a wave of evolving technology. I could not type without whiteout however learning new programs, adapting to how computers with increasing memory and speed “think” was so daunting in addition to the subjects. I was behind the technology curve. I had been a horse trainer and was not in use of much more than a cell phone ( that was actually just a phone) and cable. I remember being scared of the programs. In statistics, our professor was sailing along with formulas and equations while I was just trying to open the program.

Now, I laugh at those first days- I am much more versatile with the ever changing and improving technology. I am not a digital native but I can hold my own.

What has been a downside to this amazing advance in technology is that it has made many bad things more accessible and grow rapidly- such as human trafficking. What I am struggling to keep up with, and use effectively are ways to introduce and educate parents and children about the tactics of recruiters for human traffickers. They are literally waiting around every virtual corner. I see so many victims targeted repeatedly by schemes and plans for criminals that participate in the second largest crime in the world. The internet and social/gaming sites have opened the world to traffickers to recruit, exploit and sell victims of the flesh trade and forced labor. This seems overwhelming at times however we have turned the tables on the traffickers and used the same technology to expose them and rescue victims.

An example is when a victim reached out for help using google satellite maps, isp addresses and other data we were able to send a private investigator to the front door of a victim who did not even know where she was. She was rescued safely however the traffickers have continued to stalk her for over 2 years online and attempt to re-victimize her.

In working in this field of combating trafficking, the only way I see to be safe and connected is to be as knowledgeable as possible about the new technologies and the ways in which they are used. We offer courses for parents and teachers about new technology and human trafficking.

To host a training for your group contact www.imaginepublicity.com  or  www. lasterglobal.com for more information or call 210-882-2259.





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these & very well explain post. Some thing new to learn from this helpful post.
    iPhone Tricks

    ReplyDelete
  2. The technology is an ally of us but at the same time an a enemy. for example you suffer that big change When You returned to the college.There are many applications can track people and this like a bit stalker so in short words the technology is good but we have to use it carefully.

    ReplyDelete