Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Males Who Protect and Respect





Recently, we were filming our new reality series, tentatively titled Project Red Light, about human trafficking in Houston. This was such an exciting experience. This was one of the few times in 10 years that we had a budget and the freedom to completely design the project the way I wanted, victim centered and victim first. We put together our dream team of the best of the best rescuers and combined it with a dream team film crew.

Our sound and film crew were seasoned professionals with credits that included To Catch a Predator, our producer/editor has worked on 2 Harry Potter Films and the network TV series Once Upon a Time.

We teamed up with the non-profit Elijah Rising and spent several days with this crew who followed what we do every day.

It was so funny because the big fear was that this high priced crew would show up that nothing would happen. I spent so much time preparing them for the trip and just kept saying, "It will be ok- there will be action, adventure, victims and danger," but they were so worried that we would not be able to get enough film in the short number of days we had together.

We did so well that they had enough before the main day of filming even began.

We could not have asked, or planned, for better film than we shot, it was better than the best minds could have scripted, more than all of us had hoped for, stories that begged to be told. Unfortunately, for victims, human trafficking is 24/7, rain or shine, no matter what, and in a volume that is incomprehensible to the normal person who does not do this every day.

We actually had so much action that the crew was traumatized. For instance, there was a pimp killed next door to where we were filming, bad for him, but very appropriate for a reality show on Human Trafficking.

For me, personally, I had the most beautiful and amazing moments; not due to filming or the amazing crew that was around me,  but because the wonderful film company M2 Productions hired 2 bodyguards to keep us safe. It was a beautiful thing that I have never experienced before, two men whose only role was to first, keep me safe and in turn keep the victims safe. 

When I was a child my father left us for another life.  My brother was much younger so I was his protector.  Later on in my life I found that my husband was not a protector. I realized during the day of filming that I had rarely felt the true male respect and protection that these men provided. It truly changed my perspective in a very positive way. I cannot put appropriate words to it but will try.

I felt as though I could speak my mind, enjoy the professional power I have earned, walk through a room and be totally respected by all the men and women in the room. The bodyguard next to me was 6’7” and all the men were submissive in his presence. For the first time, I could walk across the parking lot carrying my purse with money in it and not worry that someone could take it from me. I knew that wherever I went I was no longer possible prey, but a confident, respected, and loved woman. This was not a romantic love, but a protective love. I knew that they would stop any harm, disrespect, or danger in my path. Although it is just the job they were hired to do, it was everything to me.

I have never felt so safe, even when I was not in a dangerous situation. I truly loved it.

By proxy, the victims in my presence were equally as respected and safe, something I am sure they had not felt often. From hearing their stories they had always been prey, never protected. One who weighed less than 100 pounds carried a knife and was quick to show it and describe how she could use it to keep herself safe. She spoke of horrible acts of cruelty she had endured, yet boasted of being able to protect herself. 

It was so sad that everyone in the crew, including our security, was hurt by her tales. One man looked
at me and said, “ I have daughters!’ All I could say was “I know. We are not finished. We will continue to try to help her.” He gave me the biggest warmest bear hug I have ever felt,  nothing harmful, sexual or overpowering, just a genuine hug of protection and respect. I so wish everyone could feel this. I wish that love, respect, and intimacy had not been separated into commercial sex. I wish every male saw his own daughter in the  eyes of the victims that are bought and sold each day.

I wish every woman could experience the warmth of the gentle giants that protected me, and would kill or be killed for me. It is like a gentle embrace that changed my perspective on how I should be treated, and how I will be treated from now on.

It is what the idea of father, older brother and husband should be;  respect of a woman who is intelligent, powerful, and honored, although physically smaller and a bit weaker in strength. They allowed me to be in a dangerous situation and not be marginalized.  I could then focus all my attention on the victims and not be worried about the predators.

I do not think I have ever been better at my work—

Thank you to all our crew, M2 Productions, and most to the wonderful men who showed me something I had not known, their strength, their respect and protection. Can’t wait for more!

2 comments:

  1. At first... when I heard reality show... I thought Ugh! However....now that I hear from people in the know and read this touching blog... three cheers for Dottie! Such validation of your work is wonderful! Wishing you all the best... And so very happy that you feel protected That's so important! I could use some of that myself!

    Love,
    Ladyjustice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing this! Kimberly Sutton

    ReplyDelete